Master of Business Administration
Baylor University, Waco, TX
Master of Divinity in Christian Education
(with concentration in Church Administration)
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY
Certified Church Administrator
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Ft. Worth, TX
Bachelor of Arts
Houston Baptist University, Houston, TX
In addition to working with Fidia Advisors to assist churches and not-for-profit organizations in the areas of strategy, finance, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, Steve is the Principal/Owner of Financial Leadership for Churches and Non-Profits, LLC.
Steve uses his skills to improve the reporting and transparency of financial statements and make the Finance Office more efficient and effective. He specializes in strategic finances regarding budgeting, expenditures, and revenues.
Depending on the needs of the organization, his services range from project management to handling all aspects of the finance office including payroll, contributions, accounts payable, general ledger, bank reconciliation, and clear and concise reporting and reviewing all areas to find cost savings and new revenue streams. Project work includes personnel surveys and analyses, fine-tuning the reporting system and the chart of accounts, coaching the finance staff in best practices for non-profit accounting, and working with staff and lay leaders to develop a vision for administration (finances and facilities).
Steve is proficient in performing financial due diligence, developing detailed, realistic budget projections and helping Fidia clients assess and address opportunities and threats from a financial perspective.
Bon Air Baptist Church, Richmond, VA
- Managed all church finances including Endowment Fund, debt reduction, and investments.
- Worked with ministers and key financial lay leaders to develop budgets totaling $4 million. Prepared financial forecasts for current year income and for future year expenses.
- Received non-budget financial gifts of $1 million annually, managed bank reconciliations, reconciled financial statements, and prepared reports for various teams and for the church at large.
- Supervised financial, administrative, facilities and food service staff.
- Supported 15-member ministerial team through online payments of programs, special projects funding, and hiring administrative staff.
- Worked with many lay-member teams including Tellers, Audit, Stewardship, Food Service, Facilities Use, Next Step, Property and Grounds, Ministry Coordination Council, and Ad Interim.
- Planned and implemented all hardware and software technology upgrades and training for staff.
MINISTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
Dawson Memorial Baptist Church, Birmingham, AL
- Managed $7 million annual church budget and $2.5 million endowments. Managed the budgeting process, annual pledge campaign, stewardship emphases, financial statements, debt, investments, and multiple capital fund raising efforts.
- During Steve’s tenure, the church received $27 million in gifts and $5 million in pledges for two capital campaigns.
- Supervised the finance office staff, the Director of Facilities, and the Food Services Director.
- Supported a variety of activities in coordination with the 23-member ministerial team and a variety of lay member committee such as the Finance, Insurance, Building & Grounds, Foundation, and Educational Trust Fund.
The Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham, AL
- Carried out all financial functions including general ledger, grants payable, accounts payable, payroll, gifts, operating budget, investments, and financial reports.
- Oversaw $125 million in assets and their investment performance.
- Served as staff liaison to the Investment Review Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Advised the president on personnel matters and budget issues.
- Managed office operations including technology and personnel.
The Tommy Nobis Center, Marietta, GA
As Controller and Information Systems Manager, Steve led and supervised all aspects of the Accounting and Information Systems Departments and coordinated, prepared, and implemented the corporate budget of $2.5 million.
Baptist Healthcare Systems, Louisville, KY
As an accountant for this large health system, Steve prepared updates of the budget of a $28 million, multi-hospital computer conversion and developed and prepared financial reports, analyses, and schedules.
In addition to his extensive, hands-on experience in all aspects of church and non-profit finance, Steve has been a guest lecturer at Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond and Union Presbyterian School and has been published in the NACBA Ledger of the National Association of Church Business Administration